You may not have to apply for a visa. What you need to do depends on your nationality and what you plan to do in the UK
You can come to the UK as a Standard Visitor:
1. for tourism, for example on a holiday or to see your family and friends
2. for certain business activities, for example attending a meeting
3. to do a short course of study
4. to take part in research or an exchange programme as an academic
5. for medical reasons, for example to receive private medical treatment
You may not have to apply for a visa. What you need to do depends on your nationality and what you plan to do in the UK.
You can visit the UK to do certain activities, for example visiting friends and family or attending a conference.
1. do paid or unpaid work for a UK company or as a self-employed person
2. live in the UK for long periods of time through frequent visits
3. claim public funds (benefits)
4. do a course of study that lasts longer than 6 months
5. marry or register a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or civil partnership. You’ll need a Marriage Visitor visa instead
Read the guidance for more information about what you can and cannot do with a Standard Visitor visa.
You’ll need to prove that you meet the eligibility requirements, for example that you’ll leave the UK at the end of your visit.
You may be eligible for another type of visa to work in the UK.
You can usually stay in the UK for up to 6 months (£95 fee).
You might be able to stay for longer if:
1. you’re coming to the UK for private medical treatment - up to 11 months (£190 fee)
2. you’re an academic and meet the eligibility requirements - you, your spouse or partner and your children may be able to stay for up to 12 months (£190 fee).
You can apply for a long-term Standard Visitor visa that lasts 2, 5 or 10 years if you need to visit the UK regularly over a longer period. You can stay for a maximum of 6 months on each visit.
If you’re under 18 years old when you apply, your long-term Standard Visitor visa will only be valid for up to 6 months after you turn 18. You cannot get a refund on the fee.
If you need a visa, you must apply online before you come to the UK.
As part of your application, you’ll need to book an appointment at a visa application centre to prove your identity and provide your documents.
Allow time to attend your appointment, as the visa application centre could be in another country.
The visa application centre may keep your passport and documents while processing your application.
The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you travel.
Once you’ve applied online, proved your identity and provided your documents, you’ll usually get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.
Find out how to get your visa decision faster - this depends on what country you’re in.
A Standard Visitor visa costs £95.
The fee for a long-term Standard Visitor visa depends on its length:
1. 2 years - £361
2. 5 years - £655
3. 10 years - £822
You cannot switch from a Standard Visitor visa to another type of visa.
You can only extend your stay for specific reasons, for example needing further private medical treatment.
If you want a visa to do something other than visiting, for example work or longer-term study, you’ll need to leave the UK and make a new application.
Since our founding, our primary goal has been to provide immigration in all over country. Our impact is speak louder than our word.